HEARING VOICES

This poem was actually a lot cooler while I was working on it. I was reading it aloud with breaks and pauses and putting emphasis on different words and clips of letters, hence the ugly aesthetics. The enjambment never shows up on this blog format for some reason, so I don't think anyone will be able to play with it like I did. For what it's worth, it was fun.


HEARING VOICES

don’t answer the
phone
it’s
your mother

calling to say

she was in
the grocery
store

this morning when she

thought

she heard
your voice coming

from the produce
section

and you were giving advice
on

how to tell
when a lemon

is fresh

which might prompt
you

to interject
mom

that couldn’t
have been me

I’m on the
other
side
of the country

which will force
her
to admit

she knows
you never could
tell
fresh fruit

from

the rotten
no matter what

season it was

Comments

Tara said…
I like it! What's enjambment mean? I know I could look it up but you would probably explain it better. Maybe you'll use this as a performance piece!

Popular Posts